<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And yet they still whine about how quickly their children grow up...Originally posted by Kit, Kat, and Friends:
[my mom] has this thing about "acting my age"...
Thanks for your advice! I think I would switch my dolls from year to year too. At least freshman year, my mom wouldn't want me to have all of them at once (she has this thing about "acting my age"... um, no that won't happen), but I could sneak one at a time out with me when I visit home... tee hee. I don't want my sister taking over them so when I move out, they are permanently taking residence in my room. My roomates already have all my Elmos/stuffed animals to deal with though [img]wink.gif[/img]
Hmm... I would probably take the newest one and Sam and Kailey with me when I go at first. I seem to relate with Sam the most and she is a great shoulder to cry on, and Kailey is very witty and amusing. Then again, Kit and Kat are my favorites... though they can be quite shy around strangers sometimes, so they might wait until sophomore year to come. No fun unless they can talk 24/7!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And yet they still whine about how quickly their children grow up...Originally posted by Kit, Kat, and Friends:
[my mom] has this thing about "acting my age"...
I go to a school which is considered very snobby. I didn't bring my AGs the first two years, but I had a lot of Batman stuff out, and all anyone ever said was, "Oh, cool, Batman!"
This year I did bring a doll with me--mostly because I have my own apartment. I've had parties and lots of people over, and no one's said anything about the doll on my bookshelf or my other "toys."
I think when most people are actually in your room/dorm/apartment they have the good manners not to say anything nasty because they are guests. Also, in college, a lot of peoples' quirks come out, so you learn not to judge very quickly.
If you're in an all-girls school that may be different. From what I hear, the atmosphere of all-girl colleges tend to be pretty different than normal co-ed colleges, so you'll just have to be confident and secure and ready with a response in case someone says something.
SIDENOTE: Not to scare you, but are you going to have a roommate? If so, I would wait to judge what kind of person that roomie is. My junior year, my roomie went sort of crazy, keying my car, stealing my DVDs, etc. I wound up having to move out early. If I had had my doll around, she probably would have arranged for it to have an "accident" if you know what I mean. I've had 8 roomies total over my college life (in my school they put 4 people in one apartment) and only one crazy one, but I'm not the only girl this has happened to--so just be forewarned. Watch out for signs that your roomie has some moral impairment or mental instabilities.
Never have lived in the dorms - nothing could get me to live in the dorms. [img]confused.gif[/img] Yeah sorry sharing a small room with a complete stranger - no thanks. I have been living in apartments for about 3 years (3-soon-to-be-4 places in 3 years) two times were with a roommate. My first roommate was crazy...
I live in a studio at the moment and brought my Felicity to the studio late last year. heh and since then Josefina and Violet and Sam have joined her. But if I were to live in a dorm I would only have brought Felicity (those rooms are tiny).
I lived in the dorms my first two years of college, and I didn't get back into AG until midway through the second year. So for most of my time in the dorms I didn't have any AG dolls with me. Looking back, I don't know how I survived. [img]wink.gif[/img] Near the end of sophomore year I got Kit, and she lived on my desk until the the end of the year. My roommate and suitemates all thought it was cute that I bought her, and my roommate ended up buying an AG of her own a few months later. [img]smile.gif[/img] Looking back, I don't think my dorm room could have handled much more than one doll. There was just too much stuff packed into a very small space! When I moved into an apartment my junior year, I brought all four of my dolls with me...and by the time I graduated the number had elevated to about 15 dolls living in my bedroom, and I still had plenty of room. If you end up getting an apartment at some point I'm sure you could fit all 14 or so of your dolls with no problem at all. As for the reactions of my peers, I got mostly positive responses to my collection - my closest friends just thought it was funny and were always asking who the newest addition was. The guys I dated just thought of the dolls as a weird "girl thing" and didn't seem to care. College students tend to care much less about what is considered "cool" than high schoolers. At least, the ones I hung out with didn't care.
I brought Samantha with me to college my junior year for the sole reason that I was living on my own that year. The first two years I lived in the dorms and I had absolutely psycho roommates. I don't wanna even GO into the details . . . so if you are living w/someone you don't know, test the waters first. Don't bring something that valuable into a dorm if you have a roommate that might steal/deface/break your valuables, or is irresponsible and leaves your dorm room unlocked. Just be careful!
But let me tell ya, after I had Sam in my room junior year, all my friends loved her and had no issues/nasty comments. Only good responses! I even inspired a couple girls (yes, my sorority sisters!) to bring out their dollies. Doll happiness all around.
Wow. All these dorm stories bring back memories for me, but I can pretty much say I don't miss dorm life at ALL. I was thrilled out of my pants when I could finally move out into an apartment. My dorm roommates were pretty decent and friendly people, but we did have major issues with each other sometimes. Then again, it's pretty hard living with people you don't really know. [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] Yeah...I'm glad those days are way over. I can't believe some people here have had crazy roommates, though. That's scary.
Anyway... Dollies, yes. I was into AG ever since I was a child, but I never wound up getting a doll until after I graduated from college. However, if I had an AG back then, I would like to think I would have brought my doll with me for extra company (as well as sentimental reasons). I might've worried about the doll getting stolen/abused, but it's really up to what kind of people you live with.
I'm also impressed that some people here have managed to bring a bunch of their dolls with them. I nicknamed my dorm rooms "Cement Shoeboxes" because they were so small, and I can't imagine having enough room for so many AG's.
Like a few of you already mentioned, I also didn't get back into AG until my junior year. So, I didn't have an AG in my dorm room. But, looking back, I don't think I would have because of the space and there were plenty of other things I'd rather have with me in the dorm. But, now I live in a good-sized one bedroom apartment and I have Josefina here. She sits on my floor in my bedroom. Molly sits on my bed at home. This way if I go home for the weekend or something I still have a doll to play with somewhere.
Yes, I always had a doll with me at college. I traded them out each time I went home for a visit. They were great company. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I get more negative comments having my dolls at home than having them in my dorm room. My roommate says they keep her company when I am not there. She likes them, and alwasy wanted one when she was little (her parents said they were too expensive). I guess I am lucky she doesn't mind. Four of them live on my bureau (I rotate which four are there) and a few are on the floor in front of my bureau, and some are on my bed, one occasionally stands on my desk.
and two dolls haven't joined us here yet [img]wink.gif[/img]
Bookmarks